I love zucchini. It is so versatile to be able to use it in savory and sweet ways. As much as I love spiralized zucchini with a red meat sauce, I will always love it in breads and muffins more.
However, most of the time those recipes are heavy in sugar and flour, without much substance to keep you full after eating them. I wanted a recipe that I could give to my kids in the morning before taking my daughter to school that would last her awhile. These are the perfect option for that or a fun afternoon snack that feels like a treat.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Protein Muffins
Makes about 14 large muffins or 42 mini-muffins
- 3/4 cup of oat flour*
- 1 1/2 cups super fine almond flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites (or 6 Tbsp liquid egg whites)
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 2 cups grated zucchini, about 1.5 medium, pressed
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Add all of the dry ingredients (oat flour through cinnamon) to a large bowl. Stir until combined, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and egg whites together. Add in the mashed banana and stir until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until the batter comes together.
- Press the zucchini by placing it between paper towels and squeezing. Add the zucchini to the rest of the batter and mix until well distributed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin cups with the batter until about 3/4 the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes for regular muffins or 11-13 minutes for mini-muffins. The muffins should have lightly browned edges and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days (if they last that long) or in the freezer for 3 months.
*You can make your own oat flour with 3/4 cup of rolled oats in the food processor, blender or coffee grinder.